What Are the Photography Copyright Laws?
- Indian and international laws assign the copyright of the photograph to the creators of a photograph.
- Just because you buy a print or get a shoot done does not mean you have purchased the copyright.
- Under the Copyright Act, photographs are protected by copyright from the moment of creation.
- Photographers have the exclusive right to reproduce their photographs.
- Unless you have permission from the photographer, you can’t copy, distribute (no scanning and sending them to others), publicly display (no putting them online), or create derivative works from photographs.
- A photographer can easily create over 20,000 separate pieces of intellectual property annually.
- Copyright infringements, reproducing photos without permission, can result in civil and criminal penalties.
Does This Mean Amit Chhabra Photography Can Use My Photos in Any Which Way Whatsoever?
- We are in the business of photographing families and children and we do understand the sensitivity around the usage of images in today’s digital world.
- Prior to the shoot, you will be requested to fill out an online “Client Information” form. In this form, please put in the notes section if you do not want Amit Chhabra Photography to use your pictures for
- posting on social media
- If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact us when you are filling in the client information form.
I Want to Purchase the Rights of My Photographs, What Should I Do?
- In the client form the client is given the option to Buy the copyright. Buying the copyright entitles the client to use the images in any which way whatsoever and they become the owners of the photographs.
I Did Not Purchase the Rights of My Photographs, What Can / Cannot I Do?
Unless prior written permission is taken from Amit Chhabra Photography the client cannot use the pictures taken by Team Amit Chhabra Photography for any of the following
- Displaying in Exhibitions (without our logos)
- Selling to Stock Sites
- Selling to Magazines / News Agencies
- Altering an image / manipulating an image
- Giving for free the image to a non-profit organization
- Selling the image
You can send the images that we photograph to agencies to promote your child. In such a scenario you will need to sign a release with the agency that such photos will not be published without our permission. A copy of this release must also be sent to us.
If our logo is placed on your photo, you cannot remove, manipulate, or crop the photograph to remove, blur, or alter our logo.
Apart from the above, Amit Chhabra Photography grants its clients permissions to use the photos taken by Team Amit Chhabra Photography in any which way whatsoever.